apollo

Health & Nutrition

5 Reasons Why You Should Eat Watermelon During Summer

3 min read

By Apollo 24|7, Published on- 29 May 2023, Updated on - 16 June 2023

  • Share this article

  • 0

  • 7 likes

Watermelon is loved and cultivated across the world, with over 1000 varieties in place. According to archaeologists, watermelon is native to Northeastern Africa and originated around 5000 years back. Apart from being a go-to summertime snack, the benefits of watermelon go beyond its refreshing taste and hydration quotient. It is fulfilling, low in sugar and calories, and packed with lots of nutrients. No wonder the summer season seems incomplete without a nibble into this super-delicious and fresh fruit.

But, how is watermelon good for you? Is watermelon good for diabetes? This blog will take you through the various aspects of watermelon, its nutritional value, and its health benefits. Read on!

Top Five Reasons Why You Should Eat Watermelon

1. Supports Hydration

The average human body receives 20% of hydration from what they eat and the remaining 80% from what they drink. Watermelon, as the name suggests, is 92% water. So it keeps you well-hydrated and facilitates a balanced intake.

2. Loaded With Nutrients

Watermelon is a reservoir of a variety of essential vitamins and minerals. Refer to the table below for the nutritional value of watermelon (152 gm):

Nutrients

Value

Calories

45.6

Fat

0.2 gm

Cholesterol

0 mg

Sodium

1.52 mg

Carbohydrate

11.5 mg

Vitamin A

865 IU

Calcium 

10 mg

Potassium

170 mg

Fibre

0.6 gm

Lycopene

6890 micrograms

Vitamin C

12.3 mg

3. Regulates Blood Pressure

Watermelon, especially the white portion of the skin, contains a natural substance called L-citrulline. L-citrulline helps to regulate blood pressure and improves your artery function by relaxing the blood vessels and boosting circulation. 

4. High In Antioxidant Content

Watermelon pulp gets its brilliant red color from lycopene. Lycopene is an antioxidant that fights free radicals in your body, thereby reducing the risk of developing several health conditions including diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and age-induced eye problems.

5. Improves Gut Health

Although the fiber content of watermelon is not high, it is good for your digestion. It is rich in water and prebiotics that facilitate the growth of good bacteria in your gut. Prebiotics boost your immune system, regulate blood sugar levels and mineral absorption, and uplift your mood. They may also protect your intestine from colon cancer.

In conclusion, watermelon is a tasty and energizing summertime fruit which loaded with several health benefits. However, if you have any health condition like diabetes, it is advisable to talk to your doctor about how much watermelon you can eat. For expert advice,

Talk To Apollo’s Dieticians

FAQs

  1. Is watermelon good for diabetes?

The glycemic index of watermelon is 72. Ideally, a person with diabetes should avoid food with a high glycemic index. However, as watermelon contains a high percentage of water, 120 grams of watermelon would have a glycemic load of as low as 5. So, if you have diabetes, you may consume watermelon but in moderation. Also, combining this hydrating fruit with a platter of healthy protein, fats, and fibre will keep you full for a long time and reduce the rate of sugar absorption in your bloodstream.

2. What if you accidentally eat watermelon seeds?

Well, watermelon seeds are completely safe to eat. Contrary to popular belief you will not grow a watermelon plant in your stomach if you swallow a few watermelon seeds.

  1. Can pregnant women eat watermelon?

Yes, expecting women can eat watermelon. However, avoid eating it if it is cut and kept at room temperature for quite some time. If you have gestational diabetes, have watermelon in moderation and small portions.

  1. Is watermelon good for your skin?

Watermelon contains Vitamins A, C, and B6. These help keep your skin soft and supple. In addition to that, you can also make a mask out of watermelon and yoghurt and apply it to your face for a refreshing feel.

  1. Will eating watermelon help with fat loss?

Watermelon may have diuretic properties, however, it does not lead to fat loss. If you have replaced sugary snacks like candies, cookies, and cakes with watermelon, it may aid in your weight loss journey.

 

Medically reviewed by Dr Sonia Bhatt.

 

blog banner

 

 

References+4

Health & Nutrition

Leave Comment

Name

Email Id

Comment

  • Share this article

  • 0

  • 7 likes