Dr. Gokhale is one of the best Cardio-Thoracic Surgeons in Hyderabad with more than three decades of experience. He has been awarded the Padma Shri, the country’s fourth highest civilian award in 2016. In February 2017, he became the second surgeon in Asia to do a piggy-back heart transplant (Heterotopic heart transplantation). To date, he has performed 50+ heart transplants and 3 lung transplants and more than 15,000 open heart surgeries - adult as well as pediatric with a success rate of 98.4%.
Some of the services he provides are Balloon Mitral Valvuloplasty, Atrial Fibrillation, Pacemaker Implantation, etc. He is interested in Aortic Valve and Minimal Access Mitral surgeries, Implantation of Ventricular Assist Devices (VADs), Minimally Invasive Bypass surgery for multiple bypass grafts and many more.
Dr. Gokhale has pioneered Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery for those needing multiple bypass grafts (keyhole bypass surgery), valve replacements and closure of holes in the heart. He has the credit of performing the first heart- kidney combined transplant in India in his name and he performed a heart transplant for a 69-year-old man, who was the oldest man undergoing a heart transplant in India.
The doctor has established SahrudayaHealth, a Medical and Educational Trust, for performing open heart surgeries at the Government General Hospital, Guntur, his alma mater, on a PPP model with the Government of Andhra Pradesh. Around 500 open heart surgeries and 3 heart transplantations have been done at the hospital.
1. Dr.Alla Gopala Krishna Gokhale obtained his MBBS and MS (General Surgery) from Guntur Medical College, India (1976–1985)
2. He was trained in Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery and obtained his M.Ch and DNB degree at Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore (1990)
3. NIMS (1990-1992)
4. He did his fellowship in Heart Transplantation and Lung Transplantation at St. Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney, Australia (1992-1993)
5. He worked as a Fellow in Cardiothoracic Surgery at Westmead Hospital, Sydney (1993- 1995)
6. He did a Fellowship at Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St Louis, United States with Dr. Nicholas Kouchoukos and gained experience in the areas of Redo Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery and Aortic Aneurysm Surgeries and Root RepairS (1995-1996)
7. Mediciti Hospitals (1996-2003)
8. Global Hospitals (2003-2012)
9. Before that he worked at Yashoda Hospitals, Secunderabad (2012-2015)
10. He is practicing as Cardiothoracic, Transplant and Minimal Access Cardiac Surgeon at Apollo Hospitals, Jubilee hills, Hyderabad till date
How can I take an appointment with Dr A G K Gokhale ?
To book an online appointment with Dr A G K Gokhale, you can visit the app/website of Apollo 24/7, search for Dr A G K Gokhale name, and click on the ‘Consult’ button. Once you make the payment and confirm the consultation, your online appointment will be booked for the chosen appointment time.
Where does Dr A G K Gokhale practice?
Dr A G K Gokhale offers online consultations on our web platform Apollo 24/7 and Apollo 24/7 App. Also, available for physical consultations at the following locations: Apollo Hospitals Jubilee Hills,Hyderabad
What is the educational qualification of Dr A G K Gokhale ?
Dr A G K Gokhale is a Cardiothoracic & Vascular Surgeon with over 30 Yrs. years of experience and has the following qualifications -MBBS, M.S., M.Ch, DNB, SMP (IIM C), D.Sc Senior Consultant Cardiothoracic , Transplant & Minimal Access Surgeon
What languages can Dr A G K Gokhale speak?
Dr A G K Gokhale can speak English, Hindi, Telugu.